Mackerel - Scomber scombus
Mackerel is a great readily available fish it is well priced and is one of the best sources of marine Omega 3.
Easily recognisable with a bullet-shaped body and the dark squiggle and stripe patterns on the iridescent skin. Each fish has a unique pattern like a fingerprint.
Mackerel remains the most valuable stock to the Scottish fleet, accounting for 29% (£163 million) of the total value of Scottish landings. All the pelagic boats in the Scottish fleet belong to the Responsible Fishing Scheme which means they take extra care with their catch.
Mackerel is high in Omega 3, Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats, which your body can’t make them on its own. Omega-3 fatty acids can do wonders for your overall brain functioning and cardiovascular health.
You can learn more about the health benefits of seafood and omega 3 here
Like all oily fish, Mackerel is really good smoked and is readily available as a hot-smoked product. Some smokers use flavours or toppings on the mackerel such as black pepper.
Fresh Mackerel is best grilled or baked and pairs well with sharp or acidic accompaniments. You can try gooseberry, rhubarb, cranberry, redcurrant or mustard flavours like horseradish and avoid anything creamy or buttery. Marinating in citrus juices is also good. A popular method of cooking is sousing in vinegar.
Here is one of the simplest and tastiest Mackerel Pate recipes. It can also be used as a canape on cucumber slices and even as a healthy filling for baked potatoes!
Prep time 5 mins
- 1 Packet ‘Ready to eat’ hot smoked mackerel fillet
- 50g Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon creamed horseradish
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 2 fresh carrots chopped into sticks
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the chives chop into small pieces and put aside.
- Remove the skin from the fillets by peeling off from the head to the tail.
- Check the fish for and remove any bones.
- Clean your hands.
- Flake the fillets with a fork into the mixing bowl
- Gently mix in the other ingredients together with a spoon
- Place into a small bowl or dish and serve with carrot sticks.